High Performance Drupal
High-Performance Drupal is an essential and comprehensive guide to Drupal infrastructure and scalability design, and a handbook for improving Drupal site performance. Beginners to Drupal will quickly learn a series of best practices on how to deploy a scalable website that will withstand traffic spikes. Intermediate and expert users will find this book the ultimate reference when planning an initial website rollout or when implementing specific technologies like Varnish, Memcache, or Solr.
The book will focus on Drupal 7 and 8, with Drupal 8 scheduled for release in late 2013.
How can you help your Drupal website continue to perform at the highest level as it grows to meet demand? This comprehensive guide provides best practices, examples, and in-depth explanations for solving several performance and scalability issues. You’ll learn how to apply coding and infrastructure techniques to Drupal internals, application performance, databases, web servers, and performance analysis.
Covering Drupal versions 7 and 8, this book is the ideal reference for everything from site deployment to implementing specific technologies such as Varnish, Memcache, or Solr. If you have a basic understanding of Drupal and the Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP (LAMP) stack, you’re ready to get started.
- Establish a performance baseline and define goals for improvement
- Optimize your website’s code and front-end performance
- Get best and worst practices for customizing Drupal core functionality
- Apply infrastructure design techniques to launch or expand a site
- Use tools to configure, monitor, and optimize MySQL performance
- Employ alternative storage and backend search options as your site grows
- Tune your web servers through https and PHP configuration
- Monitor services and perform load tests to catch problems before they become critical
About the Author
Jeff has been involved in open source for over eleven years. He started using Linux professionally at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he was a senior systems administrator and programmer for the computer science department. Narayan is a co-owner of Tag1 Consulting, having joined the team in 2008. He was introduced to Drupal during his tenure at Oregon State University Open Source Lab, where he was a system co-admin – and is their database administrator on 180 MySQL Databases – Freenode Server Administrator and Drupal.org Server, Administrator.
High-Performance Drupal: Fast and Scalable Designs
Author(s): Jeff Sheltren, Narayan Newton, Nathaniel Catchpole
Publisher: O’Reilly Media, Year: 2013
High-Performance Drupal PDF